Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A Moment of Truth

To my most recent patient,

There comes a time in every nurse's career when he/she starts to experience what some folks like to call compassion fatigue. Dictionary.com describes compassion fatigue as " fatigue, emotional distress, or apathy resulting from the constant demands of caring for others..." Now, I know you are probably thinking to yourself that I should find another job or that I need therapy or something, but what I'm here to tell you is that is not the problem. I personally believe compassion fatigue arises when we as healthcare providers are forced to be compassionate towards people who have no desire to help themselves or their situation; who are non-compliant with their medicines or therapies and are just plain rude and nasty people. I do believe that you are truly suffering but I don't believe that you are actually experiencing the pain you are describing to me. I believe your pain stems from a psychological place and cannot be fixed with your constant demands for dilaudid, zofran, percocet, benadryl, and valium. I am not the only one who believes this. Healthcare workers are familiar with manipulation and drug seeking behaviors. Unfortunately for both you and I, the healthcare industry is now so focused on creating the "best patient experience" that we as providers have now become enablers. Even though we know what's in  your best interest, we cannot tell you "no" in fear that we will be reprimanded for not treating your "pain" adequately. You as patients suffer because the root of your actual "pain" is never handled appropriately and when you leave the hospital you will most likely be addicted to narcotics. So if your looking for someone to blame, you can blame the healthcare system. If you looking for someone to fix the problem you are going to have to do it yourself. I advise you to seek the help of a mental health professional not a healthcare professional. We are not skilled in the areas of mental health. Our job is very demanding both physically and emotionally and most of us are not comfortable treating your mental pain with narcotics and sedatives. If all you want is narcotics then it is unnecessary to waste healthcare dollars on tests and procedures to locate your "abdominal" pain that you do not have actually have. I know this probably sounds mean and not very compassionate but its the truth.

Sincerely,

Your Nurse



No comments:

Post a Comment