Thursday, May 16, 2013

Today is the first post of my official Blog. To let you know I actually had to Google what a blog was before I even started so that lets you know the extent of my knowledge. I had recently been following the Zen Habits blog (which I didn't even know was a blog) and took the author, Leo Babauta's advice on the benefits of writing daily. I had also recently listened to a webinar from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition, where I am currently becoming certified in holistic nutrition, on the practice of "morning pages." The practice of "morning pages" involves writing every day as soon as you wake up in the morning. This daily practice is suppose to unleash your inner creativity and also serve as an outlet for stress. I found this to be very beneficial, but as most of you who know me personally, I like to share my opinions with the world, even if the world isn't exactly ready to hear about them. So here I am. Now according to a few websites on blogging, apparently you are supposed to write about something you are passionate about and that might interest others. I know I am passionate about health and wellness but telling people what to eat every day gets a little boring. So I asked myself what do I constantly complain about and guess what came to mind? The healthcare system. Yes my friends, and most likely co-workers, we all do it. Rather than going into the med room to complain about our crazy patients, their families, administration, physicians, other nurses and if Phil is involved the government, I have decided to bring my issues to the table to hopefully effectively start conversations and slowly change the way we practice healthcare. This is why the title of my blog is "Grassroots Prevention." We cannot sit around and wait for the government to change the system. The new healthcare reform act just passed which actually has nothing to do about people's health, only their health insurance. The government has no flippin idea what goes down in the real world. The people in the trenches, because that is what it is beginning to feel like, have to start changing the system. We the people have to start taking responsibility for our own health by eating better, exercising, educating ourselves about our diagnoses and medications, taking control of our own health, and preparing for end of life issues. These are just a few ways to improve the state of our healthcare system and it starts with the individual. I hope to spark conversation across the board. This will hopefully be an open forum for healthcare providers and patients, so remember to make sure your comments actually have a purpose and are respectful. Wish me luck. This is about to get interesting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment